Engineer/Scientist – Ceramics
RMD, Inc. is seeking an Engineer/Scientist to join the Ceramics group in Watertown, MA. This is an opportunity for skilled staff to be a part of the polycrystalline functional ceramics technology research group.
Responsibilities will include:
- Work closely with the team and group leader to ensure successfully performance of the group
- Develop and improve procedures, and design and set up facilities as needed
- Carry out routine ceramic processing tasks, prepare specimens and samples and record results accurately
- Analysis and interpret experimental results and suggest improvements in experiments and research
- Conduct laboratory tests and characterizations in order to support scientific investigations
- Maintain and operating standard laboratory equipment, for example furnaces and cold-isostatic-press
- Follow and ensure strict safety procedures, safety checks and chemical waste management
- Prepare technical reports or papers from experiment. Assist senior staff writing success proposals
Skills & Knowledge:
- A Bachelor’s degree in materials science with some working experience in ceramic processing is required; a Master’s degree in materials science or a related field is preferred
- Hands-on experience with high temperature (>900°C) materials consolidation and condensation
- Knowledge of ceramic powder synthesis and sample fabrication
- Hands-on skills in operating, maintaining, and setting up ceramic processing equipment such as sintering furnaces and isostatic pressing, etc.
- Broad knowledge of materials characterization instruments such optical microscopes, spectra photometers, and SEM and XRD, etc.
- Flexibility to learn and integrate new technologies as the field evolves
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Familiarity with Origin software is preferred
- Good oral and writing communication skills.
Radiation Monitoring Devices, Inc. (RMD), a Dynasil company founded in 1974, has been recognized as a national leader in the specialized fields of radiation detector materials, nuclear instrumentation, and custom detector applications. RMD has a unique corporate culture that incorporates a combination of intellectual excellence, challenging cutting-edge research, as well as diversity, stability and flexibility that combine to create an outstanding working environment. The organization is built around the principle that when the best people in the field are encouraged to merge their entrepreneurial spirit with their knowledge and curiosity, the best work product will emerge. Ultimately, through the pursuit of individual success and achievement, the organization will benefit. To learn more, visit https://www.dynasil.com/company/radiation-monitoring-devices/.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, RMD, Inc. is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. RMD considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.