Lab Technician: Electro Mechanical Systems
RMD is looking for a laboratory technician to support research and development of advanced materials growth by thin film deposition and crystal growth techniques. The work involves working with other Senior Engineers and Scientists to carry out laboratory work that will involve operation, maintenance and the troubleshooting of this type of equipment- ultra-high vacuum (UHV) systems, gas manifolds, gas cabinets, vacuum pumps, crystal cutting wire saws, glove box and high temperature furnaces. Should be willing to learn and operate a flame torch for sealing quartz ampoules under vacuum. Should be willing to work with other vendors and clients over the phone and email. This job also includes the responsibility of keeping the labs operational, clean and safe. This job requires a self-motivated, creative, detail-oriented individual, who is capable of juggling multiple lab tasks.
1. Troubleshoots and repairs mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic and electrical/electronic equipment, including programmable controls, numeral controls, power supplies, drives, gauges and test equipment.
2. Candidates will need to be able to operate a flame torch for sealing quartz ampoules underneath a vacuum.
3. Plans and performs work requiring a thorough knowledge of electrical/electronic and mechanical theories and principles, writing specifications, local and national electrical codes, properties of various materials, and principles of operation and application of electronic equipment.
4. Installs, starts up and shuts down equipment in accordance with company safety procedures for machine activation and shutdown and in line with OSHA requirements.
5. Advises operators and line mechanics of operation procedures and requirements for working safely with electrical/electronic and mechanical equipment and components.
6. Informs appropriate management and line mechanics of potential electrical/mechanical problems and inherent dangers involved.
7. Maintains company-required performance and maintenance records for identified equipment.
8. Performs preventive maintenance functions as directed.
9. Assists maintenance personnel with technical troubleshooting. 10. This job also includes the responsibility of keeping the labs operational, clean and safe.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling and climbing all day. The employee must frequently lift and move items over 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5:00p.m., 40 hours per week. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
- High School Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in servicing Electro-Mechanical Vacuum equipment
- Shall be proficient in the use of common hand tools and possess skills in electrical wiring, soldering, and use of electrical test instruments (multi-meter minimum req.) machine shop practices – drilling, cutting, grinding and shaping of sheet metal and thread tap & die.
- Trained and experienced in work shop safety and safety programs.
- Experienced in handling hazardous chemicals and knowledge of hazardous waste procedures
- Experienced in corrective measures and procedures in maintenance, repair, and installation of electrical and electronic equipment and machines used for manufacturing and research operations.
- Create documentation logs to track and schedule preventive maintenance, record failure trends and monitor equipment history to improve production and throughput efficiency.
- Upgrade and improve equipment systems to increase operating performance and product quality.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
RMD is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.